Posted by Marketing on 12 May 2018
How to choose the right Construction Management Software
The mandated use of UK BIM framework and the forced-isolated working Covid-19 has thrust upon the world means remote collaboration has never been more vital to the construction industry.
Remote collaboration through common data environments (CDEs) keeps decision-making flowing and construction projects on time. But with so many project information management software options out there, knowing which one to implement in their construction firms has caused managers a headache – what exactly should you be thinking about?
This article gets rid of that headache by giving you a checklist of the things you need to consider when purchasing information construction management software for your construction company. It will also show you how the BC Projects, BC Enterprise and BC Enterprise+ common data environments, created by GroupBC, are three CDE solutions that you won’t want to miss out on.
What to think about when choosing your construction information management software
8 questions to ask yourself when choosing your construction project management software.
1. Will the program boost productivity?
The ultimate test of improved productivity is whether it makes a project occur as scheduled and in the way that was planned. BC Projects, Enterprise & Enterprise+ do this by allowing:
- Automatic adherence to industry standards. The CDEs are built to UK BIM Framework standards so you don’t have the worry of whether your project conforms.
- Seamless collaboration between all permitted teams on a project, from managers through to designers and contractors to ensure everyone has access to the same information on which to base their decisions across the asset lifecycle.
- Real-time asset information management that keeps files up to date with the latest version to make sure all collaborators can make decisions quickly and assuredly based on this single source of truth.
- Templated file-name structures to make sure everyone adheres to industry-standard methods in a way that does the work for them, to save time and stop mistakes from occurring.
- Cloud storage that keeps all of your files to remain in one place, where all permitted collaborators can access them when and where they need to.
2. Will the program improve accountability?
Accountability keeps a project on time by ensuring everyone does what they should when they should. BC Projects, Enterprise & Enterprose+ give a great management solution for accountability by:
- Supporting version-tracking. Document management is made easy as every edit anyone makes to any document is recorded and saved – ready to go back to at any point. It keeps people accountable by keeping track of the changes they make.
3. Can the program be integrated with other products?
If you need to fold information from 3rd parties into your common data environment then GroupBC has a solution for you. Their premium CDE, BC Enterprise+, supports this by:
- Allowing you to pull information from other sources. You can use data from the MET Office through to geospatial information within the program and integrate a host of other products. Find out more about integration with BC Enterprise+ here.
4. What is the reputation of the developer?
If a piece of software hasn’t been stress-tested, its features are at best unknown and at worst a pipe-dream. GroupBC has been in the industry for 20 years and trusted by:
- Sainsbury’s supermarkets to create a common data environment that houses information on all their built assets across property and land.
- Highways England to provide a common data environment that houses information nationwide on their infrastructure improvement projects.
- Nationwide Building Society to provide effective and efficient collaboration between all their branches during their successful revamp programme.
5. Does the provider offer you support?
The last thing you want is to spend money on a software system only for the developer to leave you without any help. With their BCProjects, Enterprise & Enterprose+ porgrams, GroupBC offer:
- Technical support to ensure your system is running smoothly. Delivered through telephone help and an online ticketing system.
- Training and guidance to ensure the system is working for you in the way you want it to. Delivered through online courses, classroom teaching and FAQs.
- Update when it’s convenient for you. As the CDEs are web-based, it is easy for you to implement updates as GroupBC makes them available, so the program will never become obsolete.
6. Is the program intended to be used remotely?
A program built to enable collaboration is only as effective as the number of places you can use it. Because BC Projects, Enterprise & Enterprise+ are all cloud-based, they allow you to:
- Access on all devices including desktops, tablets and notebooks so that you can access up-to-date information wherever and whenever you need it.
- Access on multiple devices at the same time so that your entire team can get work done simultaneously.
7. What are the cyber-security features of the program?
When you think about going digital you have to think about the security of your data. BC Projects, Enterprise & Enterprise+ are class-leading CDEs for security because they:
- Ensure no data will ever leave the UK. GroupBC is an ISO 27001 certified UK business, so you can be sure your data never crosses borders.
- Have two-factor authentication to make sure your data is secure, making it one of the most-secure common data environments in existence.
- Meet the National Cloud Security Centre’s 14 principles on cloud security to keep your data safe.
- Provide you with a private cloud that you have complete control over and don’t share with any of GroupBC’s other clients.
Need a construction information management tool that enables you to implement an effective software solution for collaboration across your project and asset lifecycle?
Head to GroupBC
who can help you implement a CDE for easy digital construction information management.